Tuesday 23 October 2012

Pageant Vixen Talks: Holly Allen


Last week, we had Natalie Pietrzak, Miss Massachusetts. She shared a lot about her as a beauty queen. This week, we will be featuring another lovely girl who represent Wyoming in the 2012 edition of the Miss USA last June. She is Holly Allen! Get to know her in our "Pageant Vixen Talks" this week!



UBC: Who is Holly by describing herself in 3 words?
Holly: Ambitious, Passionate, Adventurous

UBC: Was it your dream to become a beauty queen?
Holly: No. I have always been pretty girly and I was a dancer growing up, so I am used to being on stage, but I also spent a lot of time as a kid playing in the dirt. I grew up on a ranch, so my sisters and I always worked alongside my dad just like we were boys. It was not until later in my life that I was drawn to the excitement and challenges of the pageant world.

UBC: Who inspired you to join Miss Wyoming USA 2012?
Holly: This one girl named Holly Allen. I actually inspired myself and have been very self-driven throughout the process. When I competed for my title, only a few people knew about that I was competing. It was something that I wanted to do for myself and I actually didn’t talk about it very much.



UBC: How is it being Miss Wyoming USA 2012?
Holly: It is a blast! I am the kind of person who always looks for new things to try or fun things to participate in, so this is the perfect role for me. As Miss Wyoming USA, I am always doing something different and I get the opportunity to meet so many great people. This is definitely a role that I was made for!

UBC: What is your advocacy as Miss Wyoming USA?
Holly: I want kids to get outside and get active! I was always very involved in school and in the outdoors growing up, and that played a huge role in shaping who I am now. My family’s guest ranch offers a youth horse-packing and wilderness camping trip for kids ages 9-15, and we have seen a steady decrease in attendance of the camp over the past several years. This has really been heartbreaking for me because I want to see kids enjoy the same kinds of exploration and adventure that I had when I was young. It is very important to me to motivate kids to stay active and to take advantage of the beautiful outdoors.

UBC: How did you preparing for Miss USA?
Holly: I think I am trying to prepare mentally more than anything. We will be in Vegas for more than 2 weeks and I know it will be overwhelming at times. I am making sure that I am ready in every way so that I am set to go and I can enjoy myself while we’re down there. It’s sure to be the adventure of a lifetime, so I cannot wait to get it started!

UBC: How do you balance time with your family and being Miss Wyoming USA?
Holly: My mom has actually been my sidekick during my reign as Miss Wyoming USA, which has been awesome! I went to college in California, so I rarely saw my parents during that time. I think she really enjoys being able to spend a lot of time together and partake in many of the fun activities and appearances. And I have gotten to see my older sister more than usual because I’ve had appearances in the town where she lives. So even though I keep a busy and sometimes hectic schedule, it’s actually given me more time with my family!



UBC: How did Kaitlyn Davis, Miss Wyoming USA 2011, helped you for your preparations?
Holly: Kaitlyn inspired me with her “don’t give up” attitude as soon as I met her. I was actually 1st runner up to her last year, and she was 1st runner up to Claire Schreiner the year before. Kaitlyn has been competing in pageants from a very young age, and this was always a dream of hers. She stuck to it and worked incredibly hard to win her title. Seeing that attitude is inspiring. And hard-work is definitely a strong quality in Wyoming women!

UBC: What strategy did you apply so that Wyoming would place this year?
Holly: This may seem lame, but the main strategy I’m going in with is to be myself. If I think too much or if I try to be something that I’m not, it will only be a hindrance. As long as I am the best Holly I can be, and I give them a good display of my character, I think that’s the best strategy to use. I am proud of myself and the accomplishments that I’ve made, so I’m going to showcase that. And I think I am pretty unique, which can be used to my advantage. I don’t think any of the other girls have spent a month backpacking and kayaking in Alaska or spent nearly every summer of their lives without electricity!

UBC: How will you treasure this experience as being Miss Wyoming?
Holly: It will be really hard for me to give my crown up next fall! The next girl may have to fight for it ;)  This has been such a rewarding experience and an exciting adventure. I will always get a big grin on my face when I think back on this year!



UBC: Message to the young girls who have passion for pageants and wants to be a beauty queen?
Holly: Do it!!! Don’t think, just do. Nothing ever gets accomplished by wondering or by hoping. So trust in yourself, let go, and jump in! However your experience turns out, I can guarantee one thing. You will have so much fun and walk away from the pageant being proud of yourself and finding confidence that I bet you didn’t know you had.

UBC: Beauty Tip To All.
Holly: Don’t be afraid of your femininity. Stand tall, shoulders back, and act like there is a string pulling your whole body up from the top of your head. I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but it is SO important! Have a presence that is noticeable and commands attention. Good posture exudes confidence and will turn heads. Trust me!

UBC: Message to all your fans.
Holly: Go Wyoming! Thank you all for your wonderful support and I’m so thrilled that you are coming along with me on this journey. I’m truly blessed to be representing this big beautiful state that I call home. And Wyoming has only made the top 15 twice, so let’s push for lucky number 3 this year and get to the top!


Thank you so much Holly Allen! We wish you all the best!

-Universal Beauty Council